This data has now been superseded and is for historical reference only. For the most accurate data, the Crime Statistics Agency (CSA) recommends the use of data from the most recent release. The CSA does not recommend the use of this data to make comparisons over time.
In the year ending June 2019 there were 226,167 unique victims of crime recorded by Victoria Police. The number of victims of crime has decreased 0.8% or 1,826 unique victims compared to the same period last year. This number is the lowest since the year ending June 2015. Of this number, 186,812 (82.6%) of victims were people, and 39,355 (17.4%) were organisations. The proportion of organisations as victims has remain stable over the last 5 years.
In the last 12 months there was a decrease in the victimisation rate per 100,000 population (down 2.9% to 2,832.4 from 2,915.7), the lowest rate in the last 5 years. Approximately 3 in every 100 people in Victoria were victims of crime in the year to June 2019.
Unique victims, 10 year trend
Sex and age of unique victims
In the year ending 30 June 2019, of the 186,603 unique person victims where a sex was recorded, 104,820 (56.2%) were male and 81,783 (43.8%) were female. These numbers have decreased in the last 12 months, down 1.0% (1,081 victims) for males and 0.3% for females (273 victims).
Unique victims (excluding organisations), proportion of victims by sex, 5 year trend
The proportional split between male and female victims has remained stable over time, however since the year ending June 2015 the numbers have increased for both males (3.3%, 3,315 victims) and females (3.7%, 2,941 victims).
Unique victims by sex and age, year ending June 2019
The average age of person victims where sex was recorded was 39.2 years, and the age group with the highest number of victims was 25–29 years (23,811 victims). For male victims the average age was 39.7 years and the average age for females was 38.6 years. There were more male victims than females in every age group except for the 10–14 age group where there were a higher number of female victims.
Unique victims involved in family violence
Of the 186,812 unique victims recorded in the year ending June 2019, 27,768 were involved in a family incident at least once within the reference period as either an ‘affected family member’ or ‘other party’. Males had a lower proportion of family related incidents at 7.3%, whereas female victims who were involved in at least one family incident comprised 24.6% of all female unique victims.
The number of unique victims involved in a family incident increased for both males (1.6% or 118 victims) and females (5.2% or 990 victims) in the last 12 months. Since the year ending June 2015 the number of unique victims involved in a family incident has increased for both males (14.3% or 953 victims) and females (19.4% or 3,265 victims) in the last 12 months.
Unique victims involved in a family incident by sex, 5 year trend
In the year ending June 2019, there were 10,588 unique victims aged under 18 years, down 3.3% (356 victims) compared to the same period last year. This was driven by a 5.2% (287 victims) decrease in female victims. Male victims also decreased 1.3% (71 victims) in the last 12 months. Youth victims comprised 5.7% of all unique victims, with 50.2% (5,319) being male and 49.7% (5,267) female. Almost half of youth victims were aged between 15 and 17 years in the last 12 months (47.0%).
Unique youth victims by sex, July 2014 to June 2019
Repeat victimisation is counted when people have had more than one victim report recorded within a 12 month period. People who have been victimised across more than one reference period will be counted in each of the reference periods that they reported being a victim.
Of the 186,812 person victims recorded in the year to June 2019, 91.8% (171,474) of victims only had one report recorded by police within the reference period, and there was very little variation between males and females. Of the remaining victims 15,338 (8.2%) had more than one victim report within the reference period. There were also 2,841 victims with three or more incidents of victimisation recorded in the last 12 months.
Proportion of multiple victim reports recorded within the reference period, July 2014 to June 2019
Those who were most likely to experience repeat victimisation were females between 10–14 years. Of the 1,896 female victims aged 10–14 years, 11.0% (209 victims) had more than one victim report recorded in the reference period.
Organisations had higher proportions of repeat victimisation. There were 39,355 victims recorded that were identified as organisations, of which 10,818 (27.5%) reported being a victim on more than one occasion. There were also 2,686 organisation victims with five or more victim reports, comprising 6.8% of all organisation victims in the last 12 months.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .