Family incidents

A family incident is an incident attended by Victoria Police where a Victoria Police Risk Assessment and Risk Management Report (also known as an L17 form) was completed and recorded on LEAP.

4.1 Key movements in the number and rate of family incidents

 

Apr 2011 - Mar 2012

Apr 2012 - Mar 2013

Apr 2013 - Mar 2014

Apr 2014 - Mar 2015

Apr 2015 - Mar 2016

% change Mar 2015 - Mar 2016

Number of family incidents

46,993

58,960

64,253

69,441

76,529

10.2%

Family incident rate per 100,000

834.3

1,028.3

1,100.6

1,169.5

1,264.2

8.1%

 

In the year ending 31 March 2016, there were 76,529 family incidents recorded by Victoria Police, rising by 10.2% from 69,441 incidents in the year ending March 2015. This resulted in a family incident rate of 1,264.2 per 100,000 people in Victoria, an increase of 8.1% from the previous year, and an increase of 51.5% from the year ending 31 March 2012.

 

Family incidents, April 2011 to March 2016

Family incidents, April 2011 to March 2016

For more information on family incident rates by Local Government Area, please see the family incident data tables.

 

Family incidents by month, April 2015 to March 2016

Family incidents by month, April 2015 to March 2016

Over the year ending 31 March 2016, there were between 5,620 and 7,384 family incidents recorded per month. The months with the highest number of recorded family incidents were January 2016 (7,384 incidents), December 2015 (7,237 incidents) and March 2016 (6,899 incidents).

Between April and July 2015, the number of family incidents dropped slightly with an average of 5,686 family incidents recorded per month, within that period.

 

4.2 Demographic characteristics of affected family members 

An ‘affected family member’ is the individual who is deemed to be affected by events occurring during the family incident. Where an affected family member has been affected by more than one other party within a family incident, they will be counted for each involvement.

For example, where a family incident involves three affected family members and one other party, each affected family member will be counted separately, making a count of three.

In the year ending 31 March 2016, 75% (57,365) of the 76,531 affected family members were female, while 24.7% (18,868) were male.

 

Affected family members by age and sex, April 2015 to March 2016

Affected family members by age and sex, April 2015 to March 2016

Of the 57,365 female affected family members, 13.5% (7,728) were aged between 25 – 29 years and another 13.5% (7,725) were aged between 30 – 34 years. Females aged between 20 – 44 years made up 63.3% (36,318) of female affected family members.

The largest age group of male affected family members was 40 – 44 years which accounted for 10.8% (2,043) of all male affected family members.

 

4.3 Demographic characteristics of other parties

The other individual involved in a family incident is referred to as the ‘other party’. The other party could be a current partner, former partner or a family member. Where the other party is involved with multiple affected family members, they will be counted for each involvement.

For example, where a family incident involves one affected family member and two other parties, each other party will be counted separately, making a count of two.

In the year ending 31 March 2016 there were 76,528 other parties recorded, of which 76.6% (58,634) were male and 22.8% (17,468) were female.

 

Other party by age and sex, April 2015 to March 2016

Other party by age and sex, April 2015 to March 2016

Of the male other parties, 68.4% (40,124) were aged between 20 and 44 years. Females aged between 20 to 44 years made up 64.9% (11,332) of all female other parties.

For more information on the demographic characteristics of affected family members and other parties, please see the family incident data tables.
 

4.4 Offences related to family incidents

A family incident is counted as each time Victoria Police complete an L17 form and may or may not involve a criminal offence. The following graph highlights the number of offences that were related to a family incident and those that weren’t over the past five years. While a family incident may not involve any criminal offences, a single incident may also give rise to multiple offences.

 

Recorded offences by family violence flag, April 2011 to March 2016

Recorded offences by family violence flag, April 2011 to March 2016

In the year ending 31 March 2016, 15.9% (82,350 offences) of the 519,130 offences recorded in the year were related to a family incident, while the other 84.1% (436,780 offences) were not related to a family incident.

Get Adobe Reader (External link) Get Open Office (External link) You may need Adobe® Acrobat® Reader or Open Office to view the document(s) on this page. Get Adobe® Acrobat® Reader (External link) Get Open Office (External link)