Family incidents

A family incident is an incident attended by Victoria Police where a Victoria Police Risk Assessment and Risk Management Report (also known as an L17 form) was completed and recorded on LEAP.

6.1 Key movements in the number and rate of family incidents

 

Jul 2011 - Jun 2012

Jul 2012 - Jun 2013

Jul 2013 - Jun 2014

Jul 2014 - Jun 2015

Jul 2015 - Jun 2016

% change Jun 2015 - Jun 2016

Number of family incidents

49,943

60,546

65,179

70,902

78,012

10.0%

Family incident rate per 100,000

886.7

1,056.0

1,116.4

1,194.1

1,288.7

7.9%

 

 

In the year ending June 2016, there were 78,012 family incidents recorded by Victoria Police, rising by 10% from 70,902 incidents in the year ending June 2015. This resulted in a family incident rate of 1,288.7 per 100,000 people in Victoria, an increase of 7.9% from the previous year, and an increase of 45.3% from the year ending June 2012.

 

Family incidents, July 2011 to June 2016

For more information on family incident rates by Local Government Area, please see the family incident data tables.

 

Family incidents by month, July 2015 to June 2016

Over the year ending June 2016, there were between 5,648 and 7,384 family incidents recorded per month. The months with the highest number of recorded family incidents were January 2016 (7,384 incidents), December 2015 (7,237 incidents) and March 2016 (6,895 incidents).

Between July and September 2015, the number of family incidents dropped slightly with an average of 5,973 family incidents recorded per month, within that period.

 

6.2 Demographic characteristics of affected family members

An ‘affected family member’ is the individual who is deemed to be affected by events occurring during the family incident. Where an affected family member has been affected by more than one other party within a family incident, they will be counted for each involvement.

For example, where a family incident involves three affected family members and one other party, each affected family member will be counted separately, making a count of three.

In the year ending June 2016, 74.8% (58,356) of the 78,014 affected family members were female, while 24.8% (19,368) were male.

 

Affected family members by age and sex, July 2015 to June 2016

Of the 58,356 female affected family members, 13.5% (7,906) were aged between 25–29 years and another 13.5% (7,867) were aged between 30–34 years. Females aged between 20–44 years made up 63.2% (36,889) of female affected family members.

The largest age group of male affected family members was 40–44 years which accounted for 10.5% (2,033) of all male affected family members.

 

6.3 Demographic characteristics of other parties 

The other individual involved in a family incident is referred to as the ‘other party’. The other party could be a current partner, former partner or a family member. Where the other party is involved with multiple affected family members, they will be counted for each involvement.

For example, where a family incident involves one affected family member and two other parties, each other party will be counted separately, making a count of two.

In the year ending June 2016 there were 78,012 other parties recorded, of which 76.6% (59,769) were male and 22.8% (17,799) were female.

 

Other party by age and sex, July 2015 to June 2016

Of the male other parties, 68.5% (40,942) were aged between 20 and 44 years. Females aged between 20 to 44 years made up 64.7% (11,523) of all female other parties.

For more information on the demographic characteristics of affected family members and other parties, please see the family incident data tables.

 

6.4 Offences related to family incidents

A family incident is counted as each time Victoria Police complete an L17 form and may or may not involve a criminal offence. The following graph highlights the number of offences that were related to a family incident and those that weren’t over the past five years. While a family incident may not involve any criminal offences, a single incident may also give rise to multiple offences.

 

Offences recorded by whether family incident related, July 2011 to June 2016

In the year ending June 2016, 16.1% (86,269 offences) of the 535,826 offences recorded in the year were related to a family incident, while the other 83.9% (449,557 offences) were not related to a family incident.

Get Adobe Reader (External link) Get Open Office (External link) You may need Adobe® Acrobat® Reader or Open Office to view the document(s) on this page. Get Adobe® Acrobat® Reader (External link) Get Open Office (External link)