Family incidents

A family incident is an incident attended by Victoria Police where a Victoria Police Risk Assessment and Risk Management Report (also known as an L17 form) was completed and recorded on LEAP.

5.1 Key movements in the number and rate of family incidents

 

Apr 2012 - Mar 2013

Apr 2013 - Mar 2014

Apr 2014 - Mar 2015

Apr 2015 - Mar 2016

Apr 2016 - Mar 2017

% change 2016 - 2017

Number of family incidents

58,960

64,253

69,440

76,520

77,721

1.6%

Family incident rate per 100,000

1,028.3

1,100.6

1,167.7

1,260.7

1,262.2

0.1%

 

 

In the year ending March 2017, there were 77,721 family incidents recorded by Victoria Police, rising by 1.6% from 76,520 incidents in the year ending March 2016. This resulted in a family incident rate of 1,262.2 per 100,000 people in Victoria, an increase of 0.1% from the previous year, and an increase of 22.7% from the year ending March 2013.

Family incidents, April 2012 to March 2017

 

For more information on family incident rates by Local Government Area, please see the family incident data tables.

Family incidents by month, April 2016 to March 2017

 

Over the year ending March 2017, there were between 5,910 and 7,232 family incidents recorded per month. The months with the highest number of recorded family incidents were December 2016 (7,232 incidents), January 2017 (7,175 incidents), and November 2016 (6,715 incidents).

For the quarter between April and June 2016, the number of family incidents dropped slightly with an average of 6,194 family incidents recorded per month, within that period.

5.2. Demographic characteristics of affected family members

An ‘affected family member’ is the individual who is deemed to be affected by events occurring during the family incident. Where an affected family member has been affected by more than one other party within a family incident, they will be counted for each involvement.

For example, where a family incident involves three affected family members and one other party, each affected family member will be counted separately, making a count of three.

In the year ending March 2017, 74.8% (58,120) of the 77,725 affected family members were female, while 24.9% (19,331) were male.

Affected family members by age and sex, April 2016 to March 2017

 

Of the 58,120 female affected family members, 13.5% (7,859) were aged between 30–34 years and another 12.9% (7,473) were aged between 25–29 years. Females aged between 20–44 years made up 62.1% (36,114) of female affected family members.

The largest age group of male affected family members was 40–44 years which accounted for 9.8% (1,891) of all male affected family members.

5.3 Demographic characteristics of other parties

The other individual involved in a family incident is referred to as the ‘other party’. The other party could be a current partner, former partner or a family member. Where the other party is involved with multiple affected family members, they will be counted for each involvement.

For example, where a family incident involves one affected family member and two other parties, each other party will be counted separately, making a count of two.

In the year ending March 2017 there were 77,725 other parties recorded, of which 76.4% (59,405) were male and 23.0% (17,874) were female.

Other party by age and sex, April 2016 to March 2017

 

Of the male other parties, 68.1% (40,459) were aged between 20 and 44 years. Females aged between 20 to 44 years made up 64.8% (11,575) of all female other parties.

For more information on the demographic characteristics of affected family members and other parties, please see the family incident data tables.

5.4 Offences related to family incidents

A family incident is counted as each time Victoria Police complete an L17 form and may or may not involve a criminal offence. The following graph highlights the number of offences that were related to a family incident and those that weren’t over the past five years. While a family incident may not involve any criminal offences, a single incident may also give rise to multiple offences.

Offences recorded by whether family incident related, April 2012 to March 2017

 

In the year ending March 2017, 16.6% (90,115 offences) of the 543,391 offences recorded in the year were related to a family incident, while the other 83.4% (453,276 offences) were not related to a family incident.

Author
Crime Statistics Agency, 2017
Publisher
Crime Statistics Agency, 2017
Date of Publication

Get Adobe Reader (External link) Get Open Office (External link) You may need Adobe® Acrobat® Reader or Open Office to view the document(s) on this page. Get Adobe® Acrobat® Reader (External link) Get Open Office (External link)